News Article Writing
News articles are ment to tell the news. It is written to inform readers and is factual (meant to present information in a quick, easy to understand form).
Research and Fact Gathering
The most important rule of a newspaper article is that it is factual. Before you write your article, you must have as many of the facts as you can gather. These are some facts you should find out:
- What? What is the specific event that took place?
- Who? Who are the people involved?
- Where? Where did it take place?
- When? When did it take place?
- Why? Why did this event happen?
You will also need to gather as many details as you can. You can:
- Interview people connected to the story
- Gathering quotes from people and be exact. Make sure to
- include their name(s), unless they to remain anonymous.
- Resolving conflicting facts from individuals.
You need to have all your facts before you begin writing.
Parts of The News Article-
Headline or Title
This is where you have most of your creativity. You must grab the attention of the reader. It needs to be catchy. Get creative!
The most important information comes first.
In news article writing you want to provide the key information at the begining. You start with the questions you should have from your research: